Monday, September 10, 2007

Mon Meilleur Ami

I watched a French movie last night called 'Mon Meilleur Ami', which translates to 'my best friend'. I suppose that over the years I have become so accustomed to Hollywood blockbusters that this movie was a refreshing change. It's a story about a successful rare art collector, Francois (Daniel Auteuil), who refuses to believe he has no real friends, and so he places a bet with his business partner Catherine (Julie Gayet) that he can find one within 10 days. The prize is the vase. Scrambling to find a friend, he finds a cheerful cab driver Bruno Bouley (Dany Boon) willing to pose as his friend.

I liked the movie primarily because Julie Gayet was in it, but also because it showed the need for friendship as a basic human nature. As the title suggests it is a movie about friendship, but it takes it one step further to REAL friendship and what qualifies a real friend. I felt that overall the film was very enjoyable, especially when Bruno would take Francois around Paris trying to find his true friend. There were some really funny moments as well as some softer ones that made for a good overall film.

My favorite quote of the movie: "la bonhumour est le debut du bonheur."

I give this movie two French fries up!

Yusuf

No comments: